Having problem remembering where you left your mobile phone? Forgot to pick up an item from the grocery store? Forgot birth date of someone special, name of the people around you? Has the appointment with your doctor that you scheduled last month totally skipped your mind? Weak memory can be quite frustrating in everyday life!
Week Memory problems are a quite common complaint, especially with increasing age. Various other factors can affect your memory like Sleeplessness, stress, depression, Uneven or sedentary Lifestyle, Lack of Vitamins and nutrition’s, underactive or overactive thyroid, Excessive Consumption of Alcohol, smoking and use of certain medications.
For general memory problems though, you can try some Ayurvedic remedies and incorporate healthy lifestyle changes.
Almonds are excellent supplements to improve memory and brainpower. They are rich in antioxidants that boost memory. Due to their rich antioxidant content, almonds are good for your eyes, too.
- Soak 5 to 10 almonds in water in the evening.
- Peel off them in next day early in the morning and make a paste by grinding the almonds.
- Boil this paste with one glass of milk.
- Add some sugar, butter or honey for taste.
- Drink it daily for 30 or 40 days.
Rosemary is another popular herb for improving weak memory.
- Steep one teaspoon of dried rosemary in a cup of boiling water for about five minutes. If you have fresh rosemary, steep a sprig in a teapot containing hot water for three to five minutes. Strain and add honey for taste, if desired. Drink it daily for a few weeks.
- . You can also breathe in the aroma of rosemary oil or add a few drops of the oil to a room diffuser.
Note: As the effects of rosemary have not been studied on children, it not recommended for medicinal use in those under age 18. It can be taken as a spice in food, though.
3. Black Seed (Nigella Sativa)
Black seeds has antioxidant, anti-inflammatory and neuron-protecting properties that have great mind-sharpening potential. Its scientific name is Nigella Sativa and also called kalonji
- Mix a little honey in one-half teaspoon of ground black seeds. Eat it twice daily for at least a few weeks.
- Alternatively, you can take this herb in supplement form after consulting your doctor.
4. Indian Gooseberry
Indian gooseberry, also called amla, is used in Ayurveda to enhance memory power and strengthen the nervous system. Due to its high vitamin C and antioxidant content, amla also works as a good immune booster.
- Take 1-3 teaspoons of Anwala churna three times a day for at least a few weeks.
- Alternatively, mix one teaspoon each of Indian gooseberry root powder and white sesame seeds, ground into a powder. Add one teaspoon of honey to this paste. Eat it once daily for a few days.
This Ayurvedic herb works for purify the blood and helps to stimulate the blood flow in proper manner. It works as a brain tonic for nervous system and has antioxidant and neuroprotective effects.
- Drink two teaspoons of juice extracted from brahmi leaves two or three times a day. You can also add a little honey.
- Alternatively, you can mix one-half teaspoon of brahmi powder in a cup of warm milk, add a pinch of cardamom and drink it once or twice daily. Another option is to take this herb as a supplement by taking 300 mg of standard extract daily. Consult your doctor first.
Follow any of these remedies for at least a few weeks.
6. Fish Oil
Fish oil supplements have been found to help improve memory. It reduce cognitive decline, thanks to the high levels of omega-3 fatty acids.
- Consume fish oil supplements, containing at least 600 mg Docosahexaenoic acid(DHA), daily. For proper dosage and suitability, consult your doctor.
- You can also include fatty fish like salmon, herring, mackerel and sardines in your diet.