Foot odor or smelly feet technically known as bromhidrosis. It can be really embarrassing for those suffering from this problem.
This usually occurs when your feet sweat and the sweat does not evaporate because you are wearing shoes or socks. Bacteria naturally present on your skin grow as they feed on the sweat and dead skin cells, producing the foul smell.
Many natural cures are available to get rid of annoying foot odor. You’ll need to follow these remedies for a certain period of time to get good results.
Here are the top home remedies for foot odor.
1. Baking Soda
Baking soda commonly known as Sodium bicarbonate, is an effective home remedy to get rid of foot odor. It neutralizes odour, and cornstarch, which absorbs moisture. It neutralizes the pH of sweat and reduces bacteria.
- Add one tablespoon of baking soda in warm water .
- Soak your feet in it for 15 to 20 minutes every night for about one week.
- You can also sprinkle baking soda in both your shoes and socks before wearing them.
2. Lavender Oil
Lavender oil not only smells good but it helps to kill bacteria. Plus, it has antifungal properties that are effective in treating foot odor.
- Put a few drops of lavender oil in warm water.
- Soak your feet in it for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Repeat twice daily for a few days.
Note:Before trying this remedy, make sure the oil won’t irritate your skin by putting one drop on a small area.
Alum powder has astringent and antiseptic properties. Thus, it inhibits the growth of bacteria.
- Mix one teaspoon of alum powder in one cup of warm water.
- Wash your feet with this solution.
- After 15 to 20 minutes, dry your feet thoroughly and then sprinkle some alum powder on them.
- Do this once daily.
4. Epsom Salt
The Epsom salt acts as an astringent to reduce sweating, and may kill bacteria.
- Mix two teaspoons of Epsom salt into a basin half-full with warm water.
- Soak your feet in the mixture for 10 to 15 minutes twice a day.
5. Black Tea
The tannic acid in strong black tea kills the bacteria.
- Boil two black tea bags in three cups of hot water. Add half a bucket of normal water to lower the temperature of the solution.
- Soak your feet in it for 15 to 20 minutes twice a day.
- Do this daily for about a week.
Vinegar is beneficial in getting rid of smelly feet as it creates an acidic environment in which bacteria cannot survive.
- Prepare a mixture of one-half cup of vinegar and six to eight cups of hot water.
- Soak your feet in it for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Finally, wash your feet thoroughly with soap to remove the vinegar smell.