Whiteheads, also known as closed comedones in medical terms, are a form of acne caused by skin pores clogged with trapped dirt, sebum and dead skin. Whiteheads are very common in people who have oily skin and mostly appear on the nose, cheeks, temples and forehead.
Whiteheads are quite similar to blackheads but occur as small white or yellow bumps as they form under the surface of closed pores. Blackheads are dark in color due to being exposed to oxygen.
Here are the top best home remedies for whiteheads.
1. Facial Steam
A facial steam is one of the very effective natural treatments for whiteheads. It helps open up the pores and loosens the buildup of dirt, oil and dead skin cells.
• Boil some water in a bowl to create steam. Turn off the heat and place your face over the bowl while holding a towel over head to trap the steam around your face.
• Allow the steam to soak into your face for five minutes. Then dry your skin with a clean towel.
Use either of these remedies once or twice a week on a regular basis, especially if you have oily skin. You can also follow this with one of the facial scrubs or exfoliating remedies for even better results.
2. Baking Soda
Baking soda is good for gentle exfoliation of oil, dirt and dead skin cells from the skin that helps you to get rid of whiteheads on face. It also helps maintain the pH balance of the skin.
• To make a paste mix a little water in one teaspoon of baking soda.
• Apply it on the affected part of skin and leave for a few minutes and then wash it off.
• Repeat two or three times a week until you are satisfied with the results.
Note: Avoid using baking soda if you have sensitive skin.
3. Honey & Sugar for whitehead removal
A homemade honey and sugar scrub can work wonders for your skin. It will help exfoliate your skin to remove excess oil and debris trapped in the pores without causing dryness.
• Take one tablespoon of sugar and one tablespoon of honey and make a sugar scrub.
• Apply this scrub over affected area and keep rubbing gently. Then rinse with fresh water after a few minutes.
Follow either of these remedies once or twice a week on a regular basis.