Sudden and infrequent nosebleeds, medically known as epistaxes, are common among both children and adults. Nosebleeds often aren’t serious, but they can be embarrassing and annoying.
There are many tiny blood vessels in the delicate lining of the nose. When these vessels get disturbed, blood starts flowing from the nostril, or sometimes both nostrils.
Nosebleeds can be due to a number of causes includes, allergic reactions, an injury to the nose, repeated sneezing, excessive heat, alcohol abuse, excessive smoking and taking large doses of aspirin. But, Dry air, which dries out the nasal membranes, is the most common cause.
There are many natural remedies that can solve your problem with ease. We have summarized some of the best and proven Home Remedies for Nosebleed. Have a look.
- Cold Compress
This is one of the easiest and proven methods to stop a bleeding nose. It will stop the bleeding within a few minutes because the cold temperature causes the blood vessels to constrict faster and slows down the blood flow.
- Wrap a few ice cubes in a thin towel.
- Sit in a position such that your head is slightly tilted towards the back.
- Apply the ice pack across the bridge of your nose for atleast 5 minutes.
- Repeat the process until the bleeding stops..
Note: Do not apply ice directly on your nose.
- Pinch the Nose
The very first and easiest step that one must perform is to pinch the nose. Pinching the nose for few minutes sends pressure to the bleeding point in the nasal septum, which helps stop the flow of blood immediately.
- Pinch the soft part of your nose with thumb and index finger while sitting straight with head tilted forward.
- Put a gentle pressure on the nose. Do this for 5 to 10 minutes. Breathe with your mouth, while doing this.
- Release the pressure gently and sit quietly for 5 minutes.
- Repeat as necessary until the bleeding stops.
Onions is another common and old remedy to stop a bleeding nose. The natural fumes of the onion help clot the blood.
- Cut some slice of onion into thick slices. Press 1 slice under your nose and inhale the fumes. The bleeding will stop within minutes.
- Alternatively, just extract the juice of one onion and put a few drops into both nostrils.
- If the bleeding doesn’t stop after 20 minutes, contact a doctor.
- Stay in a warm environment; for this, you can humidify your home.
- Stay hydrated.
- Don’t strain yourself and lift anything by bending down.
- If your child is suffering from the disease, don’t panic as it may scare the child.
- Do not smoke, as it dries out nasal passage.